Sea Cliff Self Rescue: Advanced
These are self-rescue skills that every adventurer and multi-pitch climber should know. You will be enhancing your knowledge and testing out different situations in a safe but real-world environment.
This is a two day course for trad lead climbers. The aim is to develop your climbing independence and confidence in navigating problems on single and multi-pitch climbs.
If you are interested in sea cliff climbing, multi-pitch climbing or keen to push your traditional climbing grade then these skills and knowledge will benefit your adventures.
You will have the opportunity to first explore the techniques below in a safe friendly learning environment, with the choice to increase the challenges later. The actual techniques covered will use the equipment usually carried by rock climbers rather than specialist rescue equipment.
Some of the topics we may cover are:
Day 1: Core skills refresh
- Belaying the second from the top (gold standard)
- Tying off belay devices under full load
- Different types and uses of prusiks
- Assisted hoists
- Escaping the system (in reach)
- Creating a chest harness, slippery hitch, alpine clutch
- Descending ropes safely
- Ascending a rope safely
- Descending past knots
- Abseiling with an injured climber
- Using an Italian hitch
Day 2: Advanced skills
- Escaping the system (out of reach)
- Lowering past a knot
- Hoisting out of the system
- Tactics to retrieve a stuck abseil rope
- Stuck second/lead on a traverse over water
- Advanced hoisting systems
- Counter-balance abseil
- Skills practice in the real world with different scenarios
Pre-requirements for this course
The participants for this course are required to be able to lead climb at grade Severe on traditional placed protection.
Additionally, to gain the most from the course, climbers should have multi-pitch climbing experience.
Some key information
- 7 hours instructor time
- Location: Swanage
- Group size: 1-6 people
- No accommodation or food provided
- 23 March 2024
- 24 March 2024
Recently did a self rescue training day with Eddy. As ever it was very comprehensive and professionally delivered in a very competent and engaging manner which really helped to reinforce existing skills and learn some new ones. Thanks Eddy!